Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) face-to-face events may be moved online or cancelled at short notice. If you have questions about the status of an event, please contact the event organiser on the listing. The latest business information and support for coronavirus (COVID-19) is available at Business Victoria.
Barcode Basics for your Business – Melbourne (Sep 2020)
GS1 identifiers and barcodes, supported by standardised data, improve efficiency and effectiveness in the supply chain, which help businesses achieve many benefits including: process automation, accurate inventory and product traceability.
The session introduces the key concepts of the GS1 system – Identify, Capture and Share.
The session structure is modular. It assumes no prior knowledge of this topic and quickly builds from basic knowledge to more sophisticated applications of the GS1 standards.
Starting with the identification of trade items at the retail level and the evaluation of appropriate barcoding options, the session extends to the non-retail and logistic unit packaging levels. Special consideration is given to the importance of barcode quality and the ability of businesses to create barcodes that scan first time, every time.
The training day starts at 9 am and concludes at 5 pm.
Please note that you can arrive and sign-in for the training day from 8:45 am.
Learning outcomes for your one-day training:
- Introduction to GS1 Australia and its key areas of activity including identification and barcodes, Electronic Data Interchange (EDI), Data Synchronisation/National Product Catalogue (NPC) and Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technologies.
- The key principles of the GS1 system
- How do the GS1 standards facilitate supply chain efficiency and effectiveness?
- How to identify your retail trade or non-retail trade items using the Global Trade Item Number (GTIN)
- How to manage a multi-customer business in terms of numbers and barcodes
- Which GS1 barcode to use, depending on the nature of the product
- A close look at the GS1 DataBar and GS1 DataMatrix
- When to change or discontinue use of a GTIN
- How to identify your retail and non-retail trade items at different levels of packaging
- How to identify your logistic units using the Serial Shipping Container Code (SSCC)
- How to identify locations uniquely and appropriately using the Global Location Number (GLN)
- Understanding the use of the GS1 Application Identifiers (AIs) for product attribute data
- How to use the GS1 system to assist in traceability, FIFO (stock rotation) and inventory management
- The role of EDI in business
- How to create a barcode that scans first time, every time
- Technology considerations and the GS1 Solution Provider community
- Common problems and troubleshooting
- How to practically implement the GS1 system or improve its application within your businesses.
Thinking of a private training session on your premises?
GS1 Australia can also offer tailored, specialised, onsite to your business training for any aspect of the GS1 system. Fees and charges apply. Please contact our training department for further information: firstname.lastname@example.org